Thursday, December 27, 2007

Learning From the Little Ones

Rachel needed some new casual dresses to play around the house in, her old ones were getting very worn. I have tried to find cute, modest, casual dresses in the stores but could never find ones she liked, so I finally decided I would attempt to make a couple dresses for her myself, I have never sown using a pattern before but it did say EASY in big black letters on the package. So, with pattern in one hand and Rachel in the other we braved the holiday traffic and made our way to the fabric store to take on this new project.
Rachel loved seeing all the people and had to say hi to everyone we saw, a few people were even kind enough to say hi back. We wondered around the store gathering all our supplies for about an hour then grabbed our number and stood in line waiting for our turn. When our number was called we put our fabric on the counter and I told the lady how much fabric I needed. She measured and started cutting when Rachel began talking to the woman, "Hi my name is Rachel, I like your scissors". She just giggled a little and told her she could have some just like it when she got older. Rachel of course liked that idea. After a couple minutes of silence Rachel leaned up on the counter, looked at the women and said with her big toothy smile, "you know, you are really doing a great job with that". The woman stood up a little taller, smiled real big, and said, "thank you I haven't heard that in a long time".
I just stood back and watched this woman's face light up with this sincere, simple complement. It really made me think how I need to say thank you more often for the simple things people do for me. What would the world be like if more people gave sincere compliments on the little things that are done in life? Wow, wouldn't that be a great place to live. I can see why the Savior tells us to be like the little children, humble and sincere. I learn so many important lessons from raising my children, their pure hearts are such a blessing to me. :)

No comments: