Sunday, November 2, 2008

Wonderful Weekend

Eric and I had a fantastic weekend! A couple weeks ago we got a call from one of Eric's closest friends wife.

Scott was going to be turning 40 and his wife Sarah wanted to throw him a surprise birthday party. We of course had to go. Scott Shupe's family took Eric in to their home to live with them in the mid 80's. Eric left for his mission from there, came home, met me, and only left their home when we got married in 1992. He has so many wonderful memories with the Shupe family and they hold a very special place in my heart as well.

Eric and I decided to go up to Ogden for the party alone, no children. My mother in-law very lovingly offered to check in with the children and take them to church on Sunday. So Saturday early afternoon we packed our little beat up Geo Metro and made the 4 1/2 hour journey up to Ogden. It was a wonderfully quiet trip and Eric and I had a great time talking and actually finishing conversations, oh it was great.

Scott's surprise party was at the Timbermine restaurant in Ogden. Eric and I hadn't been there in almost a decade but it was just as fun as we remembered. Scott was very surprised to be led back to a place where he was greeted by many old friends and all his close family. It was so fun to see everyone and catch up on what Eric's old friends were doing now.

On Sunday morning we knew we had to get home but Eric and I had to stop by Temple square before we left. We were really hoping to be able to make the broadcast of music and the spoken word. We were so excited, we made it a half hour early so we were able to hear the choir practice. The program was absolutely amazing. I have always loved the Mormon Tabernacle Choir but I have never heard them live. It was so moving to hear them sing praises to the Lord. :)

After the broadcast we walked around Temple Square, ran into many wonderful missionaries, oh how I love the Lord's missionaries, and watched a film about forever families. We left there feeling so up lifted, revitalized, and ready to get back to our children.

The ride home was not as smooth as the ride there. The weather got pretty bad and being in a tiny, light geo metro did not make things any easier. We hit strips of freeway where we were right next to enormous semi's and the hail and wind blew so heavy we could not see at all. EEK!!! We were so thankful for the clear skies of southern Utah.

Our trip really was wonderful though. We were able to reconnect with good friends, spend some great time together as a couple, and be reminded of Gods plan for us and how our family can be together forever.

3 comments:

Julie Earley said...

Oh I'm so glad you and Eric had a fun weekend together. I love listening to the MTAB live - there's nothing like it.

I'm so glad we got to spend some time with you on Tuesday. You do get up here quite a bit, don't you ;)

Love you!

Anonymous said...

I loved reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to attend the broadcast, and to share your experience.

Kathy said...

Yay! I am so glad you and Eric were able to have some YOU time. It is so hard when you have so many obligations and family and so many other important things eating up your time.

I love the choir and was able to attend a live concert in Ogden many years ago, where we were allowed to sing "Come, Come Ye Saints" with them, so now I can always say I have sung with the Tabernacle Choir! I have never been to a live performance of Music and the Spoken Word. That must have been awe inspiring to say the least.

Love and miss you much, Mom