Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mother's Day Redo

Mother's Day this year was kind of a bomb. We woke up at 7:00 a.m. to get the kids ready for 9:00 a.m. church. Since I'm still on bed rest I stayed home with Jacob. The rest of the kids woke up on the wrong side of the bed and started fighting as soon as they woke up. Eric and I were amazed at how hard it was to get them all dressed and out the door.

When every one was gone I took Jacob upstairs to try to catch my breath and settle my frazzled nerves but Jacob of course had a different idea. He tried to flush nonflushable things and dump out pretty much anything he could get his hands on. I put him down for an early nap around 11:00 and went to go take a nap myself, hoping when I woke up things would be a little easier but when the kids and Eric got home from church Eric thought it would be nice for Mother's Day if the older kids made grilled sandwich's for everyone but that wasn't such a great idea because they both just fought over why the other one should have to do it and then they both took off upstairs when Eric went to get undressed. GRRR! Not a great day!

Eric Gracefully, and lovingly made a late wonderful dinner (cheesy chicken, rice, gravy, and veggies.) and due to what seemed like constant fighting all day we put all the kids to bed early--they needed extra sleep.

The next morning I was woke up at 6:30 am (we do scripture study as a family before Jennifer heads out to school) to CHEERFUL children singing me happy Mother's Day and to a decorated angel food cake (that was meant for the night before but I wasn't in the mood for it the night before) with lots of strawberries and whip cream, it was really sweet of them. The whole rest of the day the kids all worked so hard to be kind to each other and do their own chores without fighting--That's a BIG thing at our house. Monday was a much better Mother's Day. Thank heavens for redos. :)

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I am so sorry that things got so out of control. It seems that sometimes holidays are stressful times for everyone. Fighting and quarreling and irritation sometimes are just the way of life. I am glad that Monday was better for you. I don't much like mother's day anyway, too much hype. Too hard for dad and kids to do without help. The messages at church are even worse, talking about those super-moms that nobody can be. I'll take the monday after mother's day instead! And you got cake! I love you my darling daughter, and you are a wonderful mother, much better than I was. Love, Mom